Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The authority of women

While I don't tweet much, I'm on twitter.
  Mainly I follow the tweets of a few comedians, and some colleagues.  Recently, I began following the tweets of a non-denominational colleague whose quickly growing worshipping community meets at the theater across the street.
  In online interviews he admits his training as a leader for Christian community doesn't enable him to perform counseling.  Yet...
  In a recent twitter exchange a youjng married woman of his worshipping community sought is advice on a marital issue.  A wife asked for the pastor's advice in a marital dispute about spiritual matters.  His advice?
  To follow the husband's guidance.  When I questioned this advice as a matter of free will he responded, "God gives us free will.  If we're wise we'll refer to his wisdom."
 It took me three days of restraint and prayerful consideration before I could respond, "God's will or man's will?"
  As a female preacher, quotes like a woman should not have "authority over men" (1 Timothy  2:12), haunt my ministry.  To hear that I should defer to my husband (also a pastor, witht the same degrees and training I have) from another pastor (who has no formal training), sticks...what do you think?
  Moreover, what about using twitter as the new forum for pastoral counseling?  But more on that later....

No comments:

Post a Comment